March 4, 2007

Not So Unexplained Afterall

Just got the call on the "fertilization" report. All 18 eggs were placed with 50-100,000 sperm each. None fertilized overnight. Today they will try rescue ICSI with the 16 mature eggs that still look good.

There are loads of things that can cause this to happen, but most likely there is a problem with the sperm's ability to recognize the molecules on the surface of the egg which tell them to attach, or with the recognition molecules on the surface of the egg. For whatever reason, the eggs and sperm just don't interact in the right way. We had a good laugh about that because he has said in the past " I think my guys just want to lay on the couch and watch TV." Apparently that's what's happening. If you knew him, you would know how hilarious that is.

In a weird way, it's nice to feel like we finally know what's going on, especially since it's something that could be easily overcome with ICSI. Hopefully.

8 comments:

Tinker said...

We did IVF in part to make this kind of determination too. I thought that we might have fertilization issues, but no such answer. We're still frustratingly unexplained.

I hope the rescue ICSI goes well, and that with your issue identified, you can build your family more easily.

Valerie said...

I am so hoping ICSI does the trick for you guys. I will be anxiously waiting to hear if any fertilize, I will be praying for you too.

My ET went great. We put back 2, 1 stopped growing. My beta is on 3/15. I know what you mean about #'s if I get pregnant my due date will be my birthday. A good omen I hope.

Reproductive Jeans said...

Hope the ICSI does the magic--will be thinking about you all! My hubby's guys are like that too--so I can relate to the "laying on the couch" comment=) Have to find humor in all this, right?!

Bumble said...

I'm so sorry none fertilized, but at the same time you must be a bit relieved to finally know what was wrong. Being Unexplained myself, I "get" the frustration of not knowing. I'm hoping wildly that the rescue ICSI does the trick for you guys! This could be it. Good Luck Sarah!

serenity said...

Wow... though it's not good news that this has happened, at least now you know, right? That's great.

*hug* I hope that ICSI is the answer and you get good news tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.

AshPash said...

Sarah: So glad ICSI is an option so that those eggs can be saved and used! I have always wondered if that could have been our problem (ya know, like hostile mucus, etc.). Sending good wishes for lots of fertilized eggs and many high quality embryos (are those also graded as "a", "b"?) :) Will check back!

Just me said...

I just found this post of yours, even though it's so old. We just had the same thing happen- 17 eggs retrieved, none fertilized. They are doing a rescue IC.SI, but from everything I've read the chances of pregnancy are very, very low. Your Piper makes me feel a little better about attempting this rescue...

Anonymous said...

ups sorry delete plz [url=http://duhum.com].[/url]