May 2, 2007

Lucky 21

As soon as my mother-in-law told us this would be her 21st(!) grandchild (including her six step-sons' and step-daughters' kids), we renamed the blob Blackjack. Of course 21 in Blackjack is lucky, so we still feel like we have a theme going. Although I think the odds of drawing 21 are way higher than 7%. Hmm... something new to google... No! the odds of a natural 21 are just under 5%, even less likely than this pregnancy. I'm taking it as a good sign.

Thanks to everyone who's wished me a normal, boring pregnancy. So far I'm feeling very boring. I'm 10w4d today and I really have nothing interesting to say about it. I hardly have symptoms, except that I look about five months pregnant because my belly just somehow popped out right away. I'm mostly wearing maternity clothes now unless I can get away with sweatpants and baggy shirts. When I shop in the maternity stores they always ask the due date. Either I get these stunned, slightly pitiful stares when I tell them late November, or I make up something a few months early just to avoid the whole conversation.

I scheduled the Nuchal Translucency scan for next week. Mainly I gave in to my urge for just another peek in there. I'm not especially worried about it, but I do hope the odds they give me afterwards don't cause me alarm (even long odds, seeing as how I'm beating them so far). A week after that I have the next OB appointment. Mainly I'm just keeping very busy with work and distracting myself with a few parties I'm planning. The first few weeks were so emotionally exhuasting, I just feel like I can't think about it all the time. After my OB appointment two weeks ago, I was directed to an outside lab for bloodwork, and I actually forgot all about it until today. What a change from just a few months ago, when I was obsessed with appointments and tests and could hardly go a few days without a blood draw.

Although I need to take my mind off of pregnancy when I can, I am still reading all your blogs regularly and wishing the best for you all. As many of you gear up for new cycles, I'm hoping to see a lot more luck spreading around the blogosphere.

17 comments:

Becks said...

Sounds like things are going swimmingly. I can imagine you need a break from pregnancy /IF related stuff once in a while. I'm only just doing my first cycle and it feels like its 99.9% of my life now.

Enjoy these boring times!!

Sticky Bun said...

I'm SO glad to hear things are "boring." In IF world, a boring pregnancy is a wonderful one! And, it sounds like "real life" has crept back into the forefront of your mind and started taking back over, which is fabulous. You give us hope!

wishing you the best!

Kate said...

Boring, in this case, is absolutely delightful. You totally deserve it. Enjoy seeing Blackjack again next week--and please get some new pics!

Nicole said...

So glad things are boring. And for when people ask when you're due and then they give you that horrified look, well, may I recommend a whiffle bat for beating them over the head.

Artblog said...

Glad to hear its a boring pregnancy, those are the best kind :)

X Artblog

Carol said...

I'm glad to hear that things are boring - that's good news when it comes to pregnancy. Good luck with your NT ultrasound - hopefully you'll get some really great pictures!

Reproductive Jeans said...

So good to hear an update--and I love the lucky 21! And I hope that you continue to have a boring pregnancy--aint nothing wrong with that!

Jamie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in maternity clothes and feeling very pregnant at only a little over 10 weeks (I'm 10 weeks 2 days today.) My belly just looks pregnant and I really haven't gained any weight -- whatever I guess, maybe some of us are just predisposed to show early!

Are you short?? I am...

My Reality said...

Boring is good. Have you taken any belly shots yet?

Good luck with the NT scan. I am sure little 21 will fare just fine.

megan said...

glad to hear that things are ticking along uneventfully. good luck with the NT scan! i'm sure all will be just fine.

Tinker said...

I like Blackjack for a nickname... better than Lucky, I think. Probably because I knew a cat named Lucky.

After the intensity of an ART cycle, pregnancy truly is boring -- just waiting for the kid to grow. But that's a good thing. A pregnancy filled with drama, while making for interesting blogging, really isn't so good.

Bumble said...

Lovely to hear from you Sarah and I'm soooooo happy things are boringly peaceful on your side.
21 Grandkids?? Holy cow.
Thats a-l-o-t.

Its because we wanted it for so long that's why our tummies come out early, we're so proud to have them and wanna show them off. (Thats what I think anyway!)

TeamWinks said...

Wow, it sounds like things are going well. So, you are going in stealth mode to the maternity stores? That's kind of funny. Wish I was there to act as a buffer. When you're in a group they don't really ask too many questions.

Sara said...

#21 sounds perfect!

Good luck with the nuchal scan. Hopefully your pregnancy will stay boring from here on out.

Baby Blues said...

Boring is great when it comes to the nine month wait! Looking forward to more boring normal news.

The Momcaster said...

normal and boring is good!
i'm so excited for you - pregnancy is just the most amazing experience. (i actually felt a bit sad and alone the day after i gave birth with no one bouncing around inside). do tell us when you first feel the quickening in your belly k?
hope blackjack's luck infects all of us in blogland!

Rachel Inbar said...

Mine also slipped in as my parent's 21st grandchild (22 was acquired 2 days later when my sister became a step-mom). 21st grandchildren are pretty terrific :-)