May 21, 2007

Two Down, Two to Go

So I mentioned a while back that I was throwing four parties over the following four weeks. The weekend before last was a post-wedding brunch reception type of thing for some friends who had a very small wedding and reception, so the brunch expanded the celebration to other friends and family. We had it at Clyde's in downtown DC and we showed a cheesy slideshow I made of photos from the bride and groom's lives. Several people teared up, including the groom, which made me feel less like a crazy hormonal pregnant woman over the fact that I cried making it. Something about seeing their lives in photos from babyhood to today just kind of got to me. I wasn't consciously thinking about my child growing up and living it's life and becoming an adult, but I think that was behind the emotion. The brunch was a big success and a great way to ring in the start of my second trimester. Since I am basically huge, I was pretty much outed to the whole family at that party.

So party number two was a baby shower for my friend Holly, who I mentioned way back when. I had offered to throw her baby shower before I even started the IVF cycle. It probably could have been a disaster, but I had a back-up plan in case I was in no shape to deal with a baby shower when the time came. I would have gone to her shower anyway so I figured if I was the host at least I'd be busy and distracted for most of the party. And it was something I wanted to do because I appreciated that she talked to me about her pregnancy and didn't treat me like some kind of infertile leper who wouldn't understand or was too fragile or something. And she has had her share of difficulty and loss before this pregnancy so she just kind of gets where I was coming from and of course I'm always happy to see someone from our side make it. Anyway, the baby shower was fun and went really well I think.

So next up is our Memorial Day party this weekend, which is also our five year anniversary. Which means it is practically the five year anniversary of my going off the pill. There are so many little milestones, you've all blogged about them before, and I'm so used to them going by without any progress. It is a really nice feeling having made it to the safety zone of the second trimester just in time for this milestone, but I haven't totally lost touch with how those milestones have felt for the last five years. For those who have posed the question of whether infertility ever really leaves us or whether we'll be tainted by it for life, my experience (at this point) is that I'll probably never forget it, but it just makes me appreciate where I am now even more. Of course it also makes me enormously sad for every one of you who is still struggling and I can't wait for you all to find some resolution in your journey, in whatever form that takes.

The Memorial Day party is always a blast, and a wild one (due in no small measure to the MACHINE pictured above)! The plans for it are coming along nicely, and then party number four will be the second baby shower. This couple is expecting a girl, so I will do all the same stuff I did for Holly's except pink instead of blue, which means it's pretty much all set already.

So I've totally slacked off on blogging lately between the marathon party planning and trying to also, you know, get my work done and bathe and floss and stuff. But when it's over I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself. These parties have been such a fantastic distraction from thinking about pregnancy and the mental break after all the turmoil of the IVF cycle and the years that led up to it was so needed. I guess after the last party I will have to finally admit that I'm pregnant and start pouring my obsessive energy into thinking about a baby registry and a nursery and all that stuff I was so excited for way back when but somehow just became uncomfortable territory over the years. I'm thinking after all the parties I will finally be ready to go down that road again.

9 comments:

Matthew M. F. Miller said...

By all means, slack on your blogging if it means your mind is IVF-cycle free.

However, I'm totally jealous of your Memorial Day party plans. The machine alone looks like a day 'o fun.

Sticky Bun said...

Sounds like you've had your hands full! (And, I love Clyde's. Hubby and I used to go there for Easter brunch every year we were down there. :-)

And, I'm so so happy that you're able to pass these milestones from such a better place. Enjoy it! And, enjoy letting yourself start to think about nurseries and registries, etc. :-)

TeamWinks said...

I got tired just reading about all that planning and working!

Coffeegrl said...

Good for you! All that work and all that juggling at the same time - I'd love one of those tasty looking machine drinks too :)

twirl said...

You have time to plan and attend a zillion parties and have your regular life and bathe AND floss? You superhuman, you!

I'm totally with you on the milestones thing, especially now, in the second tri. It actually feels... good =)

Sarah said...

okay, i'm not really flossing, but i intend to at some point.

Tinker said...

Wow. It sounds like you'll have a real life again. That's very cool!

Bumble said...

What a little social butterfly you are! Glad the parties went well, and yes, have lots of fun concentrating on the baby preparations once the last one is over!!! x

Reproductive Jeans said...

Whooo hoo can I come to the festivities? I agree with matthew--I love the machine=)