June 13, 2007

4 Months

A couple of random thoughts at this stage:

* Funny how in the beginning of pregnancy time seemed to move so slowly. Every day dragged on forever, full of fear and waiting for bad news or to find out it was some weird delusion. Now it feels like it's flying by. I can't believe it's been four months already. November still seems like a long way away, but in another three and a half weeks I'll be halfway through. I think it helps that time always seems to move a little faster in the summer.

* The second trimester has definitely been the happy stage. Weeks 5-10 were the worst, even though I didn't really have morning sickness or get nauseous, I just felt crappy all the time. Now my appetite is back and most of my energy (although I could easily still nap a few hours each day and sometimes do). The fear is pretty much gone now too, although sometimes I catch myself thinking maybe I'm a tremendous idiot for letting it go.

* While I'm enjoying being pregnant much more now, I am pretty uncomfortable. I've mentioned that I had to move into maternity clothes early on and that I'm huge already. People are still taken aback that I'm not due until late November and ask me things like "Are you sure you're not further along than you think?" and "Are you sure there's only one in there?" Sometimes if they're particularly irritating about it (especially if they've rubbed the belly while saying these things) I may snap back with something like "We saw it happen in the dish. I am sure." and that usually shuts them up. I think part of it is the weight I put on during stims. People keep telling me this is the time to eat ice cream and not worry about it, but it makes me nervous that I'm this uncomfortable already, I really fear what lies in store. I have signed up for prenatal yoga and a water aerobics class so I hope that helps.

* I have bcome a total idiot. The fetus is leaching away all my brainpower. I forget really important things, I bump into stuff all the time, and when I type my letters come out all out of order. I'm not smart enough anymore to even express this very well or remember many of the absurdly vacuous things I've done lately as examples. I just looked up vacuous because I got totally confused for a second that I was using the wrong word. I'm aware that I'm not keeping it all together and I don't even care much.

* The stroller business is just insane. The models, the options, the variety, the prices...it's overwhelming. Picking out a car is easier.

* Staying hydrated is a serious challenge. And I used to be a really good water drinker. My doctor has had to lecture me that my pee should never be brighter than the sun.

* Since that first movement I felt a couple of weeks ago things stayed quiet until just the past few days. I've found that if I lie on my stomach, pressing on my uterus, I can feel the little flutters. I guess in a couple of weeks I will be able to feel them without lying on the baby, which is good because I'm not going to be able to do that for much longer.

* In less than 10 days I will know the gender. Or not. But at least I will get to see what's going on in there again!

17 comments:

TeamWinks said...

I'm not sure the brain power comes back for some time even after they arrive. I'll let you know when mine returns!

Artblog said...

I loved the second timester the best too, thats because I wxas sick as a dog in the first and then the last was bad, but a different bad, you'll have that joy soon, please god!

And don't talk to me about strollers. My H. treated it exactly like he was buying a car and we ended up with a tank that wouldn't fit into shop doors or the bus!!! He chose it but never used it, I did! In the end I got fed up and banished it to the shed and bought a plain old MacClaren and it's the biz. I still use it for when my niece stays.

Oh and Teamwinks is right there, it sort of doesn't come back, ever!

XXX

Sticky Bun said...

I'm glad you're feeling well and things are going well. I'm sorry about the brainpower--though if I had known that was a symptom then, hell, I should really have been pregnant for about 32 years now! :-)

Valerie said...

Yeah pregnant brain just turns into mommy brain and you never get it back. I can not believe you are 16 weeks already!

Reproductive Jeans said...

So glad things are going so well--except the brain power shortage=)
I cant even imagine how complicated stroller shopping is...there are SO many choices!

Carol said...

It really is like a brave new world, isn't it? I am amazed at all these things, it's so different than you imagine. But I'm glad to hear that things are going well.

and I'm totally with you on the stroller thing - deciding on a car was way easier!

Tam said...

Glad that things are moving along nicely, I also can't believe how quickly this seems to have gone!

Geez, i'm gonna be a total dunce then, I already walk into everything and forget stuff :)

When we getting a pic of that tummy then? Can't wait to find out if it's blue or pink either!!

twirl said...

I'm glad to be past the general crappiness too. Naps are fantastic, as always. I'm so with you on the water thing! On most days, if I drink the amount that my doctor wants me to, I'm too full to eat food!

Kate said...

The second trimester is totally the best, I agree. And it does fly by. Until you get to the last few weeks of the third trimester. And then it will drag on again...

I will send you an e-mail about the strollers. It is so very overwhelming.

In terms of looking big, my feeling is that as long as your OB doesn't get on your case about weight gain, then you shouldn't worry about it. People are idots and say stupid things, so ignore them. I think as long as you get enough activity (like a walk, a swim, yoga), you should be able to eat whatever you want. I will warn you though that it is a very difficult habit to break once the baby comes.

Can't wait to hear about results of the scan. Do you have a gut feeling?

Cibele said...

I am so gald to hear that you and baby are doing well! I hope taht you brain power comes back soon! LOL . Take care

Lindsey said...

Funny how so much of your experience is similar to mine. And the time is just flying by...
I am sure you are looking forward to that next ultrasound!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

WOW. How very exciting!! I absolutely LOVE your comment to people about knowing that you are not having twins. That's clever and priceless!

Everyone carries babies differently. I think it is a good idea that you are going to do yoga and water aerobics - they might help you to deal better with the changes in your body.

Matthew M. F. Miller said...

I'm so on the fence about finding out the gender, when the time comes. I'm so impatient, but I do like a good surprise.

Good luck to you - you have so much to be excited about.

Marie-Baguette said...

It all depends on body types, so don't worry too much. Yoga and swimming sound great. In fact, I should do something too. I just noticed that I have developed cellulite on my thighs down to my knees! Yikes!!!!!

Angie said...

Blog hopping.. I saw that you're due in November too. I will be five months next week! Wishing you the best, and enjoy the second trimester, I'm told the 3rd is horrific!

Stop by sometime.

Babyblues said...

I'm so excited for you! Time does fly. Can't wait to hear about the genders.

Becks said...

So glad things are moving on nicely, even if it scrambles your brain!! I bet November is here before we know it. Good luck with the strollers!