June 8, 2007

First Purchase

Okay, I FINALLY went ahead and bought something baby related. I got this cool print for the nursery from Land of Nod. It's kindda hard to tell from the picture, but it's an alphabet with a different city around the world for each letter (Agra, Bangkok, Cairo, Dakar, Edinburgh, etc...)
I still have two weeks before we find out the gender at the anatomy scan, but I just love this and can easily plan either a boy or girl or completely neutral decor around it.

It took until the second trimester for it to really sink in that I was pregnant, but it still feels more like something that's just happening to me; a strange physical condition causing all the various symptoms. I am really enjoying it now, but find it very hard to think of this condition resulting in a separate little human being; even after seeing it bounce around at the NT scan, it's still impossible for me to imagine bringing home a baby. At some point in the last five years I turned off that ability to envision a baby in our lives and instead began to just focus on each little step in the cycle. Once I quit thinking of each step as another failure/success in making a baby, it all became so much easier to deal with. Each step carried much less weight.

So now each step brings us closer to being able to envision a baby in this house. J started clearing out the dorm room and next week we'll have a crib in there. I'll figure out where to hang the new print, and a week later the rest of the furniture will arrive. By the end of that week, we'll have the full anatomy scan and find out the gender. At some point it will surely begin to seem real...

Have a great weekend everyone.

7 comments:

Watson said...

I'm so glad you wrote about it not 'sinking in' for a while. I feel the same way and I'm glad I'm not the only one :-)

At 13 weeks it still seems so theoretical, so not real. I'm waiting for the moment it feels like yes, this IS going to happen...when they appear more like babies on the ultra sound? When I feel them kick?

I just don't know...

Anyhoo, congrats on getting the room set up, sooo exciting!!!

Sara said...

I LOVE the alphabet. I haven't bought anything yet. Nada. You're not alone in having trouble with the pregnancy=baby idea.

I think it has just FINALLY started sinking in to me this week, after feeling the tadpole kick. I'm now able to conceptualize that there is a baby inside, but am still having a very hard time imagining the baby actually making it out and turning into a real person.

twirl said...

That print is so cool!

I felt like it came in bits, especially early on when there's a major milestone coming each week. Now, in the middle, it's feeling much more real.

TeamWinks said...

I absolutely LOVE the blanket!!! It's perfect!

Tinker said...

Isn't it amazing when you really start believing that it's real and that you will actually be holding your own baby in a few months' time?

I like the print too -- it'll be nice to daydream about visiting those cities while you sit quietly with your baby at night.

Coffeegrl said...

Cool print! I'm inspired! Since my DH is from Japan, I'm thinking maybe we could decorate similarly -with the global theme. Thanks for sharing!

Sticky Bun said...

Love the blanket! Very cute! :-)