June 19, 2007

I Hate Today

Any minute now there will be a moving truck out front. They came yesterday and started packing up my sister's house. Today they'll come back and pack up the truck. Then they'll just drive away, with my sister, her husband, my 5 year old neice and 2 year old nephew following behind. I've mentioned they live next door. Did I tell you we're in row houses, literally attached? We're practically in the same building.

Very short list of things I will miss:
- At least once or twice a week, spending the better part of the day with them, having lunch, running errands, dragging the kids around the mall, etc.
- Seeing my neice and nephew almost every day. How she calls me Saradee and he calls me Sah.
- Passing stuff we share over the deck, like when we need extra chairs or dishes for parties.
- Passing the kids over the deck for a visit.
- Knowing exactly who to call if I need to "borrow" some salsa.

Partial list of things that haven't even happened yet but I miss already:
- Maternity shopping with my sister.
- Shopping together at the baby store so she can tell me all the important stuff you only learn from experience.
- Decorating the nursery together.
- Letting my neice feel the kicks when they get strong enough.
- Cashing in on all that free babysitting I invested in the last five years.

Moving day sucks.

17 comments:

Valerie said...

aww honey I am so sorry your sister is moving away.

twirl said...

I'm bummed too just reading this! Though they couldn't replace a sister, I hope you end up with great new neighbors.

serenity said...

Oh hon I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is moving....

*HUG*

serenity said...

Oh your sister is moving to Boston? Make sure we know when you come and visit so that we can meet up.

Boston is a great city... and don't worry. We'll take care of her!!!

Soon to be Aunt Kate said...

Moving Day totally sucks, but don't worry - there is still LOTS of free babysitting ahead of you. Little baby L is going to love coming for visits to Aunt Kate's house while Mommy and Daddy are off in the islands (or perhaps in which ever far away city Mommy gets inspired to visit by the new nursery decor).......

Angie said...

I'm sorry to hear that your sister is moving. bummer!

Sticky Bun said...

I'm so sorry--I can't imagine how hard today must be for you!

thinking of you...

Tinker said...

That's really crummy!

One of my brothers and his wife live in the same city as I do (about 20 minutes away) and I almost never see them. My other brother, his wife and my niece live in a nearby town (about 40 minutes from me) and while I see them more often, I can't even say that it's once a month. I tried to convince them, when they were each looking for new homes, to move into my neighborhood because I'd love nothing more than to live much closer, but no such luck.

I'm sorry your sis, niece and nephew will be so far away.

megan said...

oh -- i'm sorry your sister is moving away. can you lock her in so she can't leave?? seriously, i'm glad she's going somewhere where someone like Serenity can watch over her. . .

Lindsey said...

I don't have a sister, but I used to live in a similar housing situation with my best friend next door, then she moved away. Moving day does suck. I'm sorry. Hope you get a really great neighbor.

Watson said...

I'm so sorry!

My little sister in LA and I am so bummed we don't live closer, especially since she just had her first baby...I do feel like we're missing out on a lot.

I totally understand why you hate today -- I hope it gets better.

My Reality said...

I am sorry, Sarah.

You can always come borrow salsa from me. I will even make a fresh batch for you when you need it. You might have to reach a little further than just over the deck.

Cibele said...

Oh No, that is sad... HUGS.

Tam said...

I am so sorry sweetie, yes, moving day does suck! I would be devastated too and I'm sure your sister feels the same way.

Thinking of you and sending loads of hugs your way :)

Rachel Inbar said...

Oh, poor you! My sister lives really nearby (3 minute walk) and when she and her husband talked about buying (they're renting now) I did everything I could to talk them out of it (I succeeded). Now she's due with her first baby in 2 weeks and I am so excited that she'll be close by!

Thanks for your comment on my blog :-) I answered your question in my post...

tipsymarie said...

I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

Coffeegrl said...

I have long dreamed of having my sister that close to me, but unfortunately we live on opposite coasts. Just reading your beautiful list of treasured memories made me want to cry as though my own sister were being taken from me. It's a sad, sad thing. I'm so sorry :(