June 24, 2007

It's a...! (the anatomy scan)

...Well, see for yourselves. First here's a full picture of the baby from the level II ultrasound:
All the anatomy looked good: two kidneys, four heart chambers, appropriately sized cerebellum and other brain parts, healthy spine, limbs at the right length, hands/feet all had five little fingers/toes (very cute). They estimated the weight at 7 ounces which is right on track. The scan took about half an hour with the sonographer and then the perinatologist came in and took another quick look.

Here's the face (lower right corner, lying sideways):
The top of the head is to the right, the two dark circles are eyes and the bright white area is the palate.

I feel a little odd about posting pictures of fetal poontang on the internet, but all the sonograms I had seen on other blogs really helped me understand what I was looking at the whole time.

In the top picture, there's a tiny arrow pointing to a couple of white lines in the upper right quadrant. These are the girl parts, so this is not just a case of there not being boy stuff. Below the arrow you see the left thigh. The second picture is more of a butt shot, with her girly bundle in the middle. So there you have it, a baby girl.

This was predicted by my 5 year old neice. I had a dream last week that everyone thought the baby was a girl, except for my neice who was certain it was a boy. In the dream, I went to the scan and she was right: boy. The next morning I told her about the dream and she said: "Umm (being delicate with me), I don't think that dream was right. I think it's a girl. Maybe everyone else thinks it's a boy." Later she drew me some pictures ("moving cards" she called them), before she left for Boston. There was one for me, one for J, one for our dog Jack, and one for the baby. Inside the baby's card, she drew a family portrait. It showed me, J, the big sister (the one that's in the belly now, she says), and two little babies (twins!). She drew herself next to the big sister holding hands (because she's coming to visit). We can only hope to be so lucky.

13 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so glad that everything looks good! And a baby girl, WOW!

AshPash said...

Oh Sarah, what lovely first photos of your daughter! Congratulations! :)

Tinker said...

Congrats on a perfect little girl! I think it's neat to see everyone's level II ultrasound images because the babies already look quite different from one another.

Valerie said...

OMG A GIRL!!! I am so very happy and excited for you. Congrats she is beautiful!

My Reality said...

Congrats on the baby girl, Sarah!!

KarenO said...

Congratulations! If I ever had the choice (bah! I'd take ANY baby right now!) I'd love to have a little girl. Now you can just think pink! :D

Reproductive Jeans said...

Thats SO COOL! Very happy for you my dear=) Thanks for sharing the ultra sound pics=)

Carol said...

Congratulations on a great scan - and on a girl!!

Lindsey said...

Wow! Congrats! How wonderful that all is healthy and well. Thanks for the descriptions of the sono. Maybe that will help me when I go for my appt next week. Now you get sugar and spice and everything nice...

Watson said...

OMG, congrats!!

Those are some adorable pics :-)

Sticky Bun said...

Hooray! Congrats! (And how wonderful to see a photo of your beautiful daughter.) I'm so happy that everything is going so well for you, Sarah!

Tam said...

Congrats sweetie and yay on the baby girl!! Glad that everything is looking good :)

Kate said...

She is beautiful--I love the profile shot. Congrats on the baby girl--you are going to have so much fun with her!