July 12, 2007

Surprises and Well Wishes

Two friends had babies in the past week. My friend Holly delivered a gorgeous little boy on Friday. She was induced three days after her due date although to her I know it felt like YEARS since the doctor had been telling her for weeks it would probably be early. Now that's just mean. She looks amazing though!

The other was my husband's cousin, who delivered on Sunday. They were expecting a girl but got a surprise! I ran out and did way too much emergency boy shopping and can't wait to give them the outfits. Because they live in a small apartment in the city without a separate nursery, they probably don't really have TONS of inappropriately frilly pink things to return, so I don't think they'll be too bad off. Their main problem was coming up with a boy's name, which they'd tried to do all along as a back-up just in case, but never quite settled on.

In less happy but not entirely surprising hospital-related news, Jack ended up needing surgery a few days ago. Just like in February, they removed a section of necrotic (dead or dying off) tissue from his intestines and resectioned together the healthy parts. He's recovering well from the surgery but we still don't know the cause. The first time it could have just been a freak thing since nothing was found when the tissue was biopsied, but this reccurance points to either some sort of progressive disease like cancer, or perhaps some kind of treatable digestive condition. Of course we're hoping for the latter, but I guess we won't know for a few days. We're hoping to bring him home tonight but not sure yet. It's awfully quiet around here, and just not the same without his greetings at the door. There's nothing like the way your dog loves you. He's only five, and I'm hoping we get many more years of it.

13 comments:

lil sis kate said...

Best wishes to jackadees for a speedy recovery!!!

KarenO said...

I'm sorry about Jack - I love my cat to bits and would be heartbroken if she got sick. Hope everything will go better with him soon! :)

Valerie said...

Hoping Jack is 100% again soon.

Kate said...

I hope Jack recovers quickly and you get the best possible results from his surgery.

You are so right, there is nothing like the way your dog loves you. My parents got a dog when I was five, and he was part of my family's life for 19 years. It's been many, many years since I moved out and many, many years since he passed away, but every time I come home, I still wait for him to run out and greet me or jump up on the bed while I am sleeping.

I can't wait to get a bigger place so we can have a dog.

megan said...

i'm sorry to hear about jack...it can be so scary when our pets are sick. i hope he recovers quickly and that this doesn't happen again. congrats on the new babies too!

Cibele said...

I hope that Jack is ok soon!!!!

Sticky Bun said...

I'm so sorry about Jack! I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

And, I can't believe your cousin thought she was having a girl but had a boy! That was great of you to go get lots of boy clothes!

Tinker said...

I hope you're feeling okay about the births. I still get little pangs when people I know deliver their babies.

As for Jack, I hope he recovers well. We had a rescue Dobe when I was a kid (the sweetest temperament possible!) that developed a digestive disorder about the same age as Jack and ended up unable to absorb the food he ate. My father, ever the pragmatic old farmer, put the dog down himself when the disorder progressed too far.

Rachel Inbar said...

I hope Jack feels better soon!

How does one get a surprise nowadays? I've had some, but only because I asked not to know...

K77 said...

Oh Jack looks like SUCH a sweetheart, I hope he's well again soon and it isn't anything nasty.

Queila said...

They were expecting a girl and got a surprise?? Oh boy.... that's scary. All the pink, all the dresses... still a blessing! :)

Q

Adrienne said...

Congrats to your friend and your cousin - and sending best wishes for Jack. A dog is such an important member of the family.

My Reality said...

I hope Jack is ok. Thinking of you and him!