August 5, 2007

24 weeks

Or, Holy shit! We might actually have a baby!

I got a bit emotional yesterday morning when I read my email from one of those annoying pregnancy sites. It goes on and on about how my uterus is now the size of a soccer ball, 1.5 pounds of my 15 pound weight gain is now attributable to the baby, and that I likely feel the need to urinate frequently. Then it says, dryly:

"With modern medical technology, your baby would have a chance to survive if it were born now."

Other bloggers have talked about this being a moment when it became more real for them and I was really hoping to feel some of that too. I had lost track though and didn't realize I was there, so the line in the email took me by surprise and really got to me. Kind of makes me think about your comments on why not knowing so much can be really nice. Of course I don't want to go into labor anytime soon and plenty of babies born that early won't make it, but the point is for me to even be thinking of going into labor and that there could be a baby who makes it is a major leap forward.


Things continue to be pretty normal and boring. We're still in the Outer Banks, although everyone else is leaving the house today and we have the place to ourselves all next week. J's cousin is here with his three-week old baby Noah, which has mainly served to remind us to enjoy our unencumbered time as much as possible in these last four months but did lead to one interesting moment. I was holding Noah and felt the now-frequent kicks in my belly, and Noah moved in response so he felt them too. Kind of a neat thing to tell the cousins one day. No doubt they'll roll their eyes and groan, but it will be neat for me to tell them anyway.

Jack is here too, and doing fine. We went through a very rough period after his $10,000 vet stay (in spite of the initial $30 fee to the pound, it seems all of our dependents must come with at least a $10 grand price tag), when he had a neurological reaction to his medication, couldn't get up or walk, and behaved exactly like my grandmother after her major stroke, except that his eyeballs were literally spinning and jumping all around in the sockets. I think he actually believed the rest of the world was spinning but that he was fine. With those drugs out of his system, he returned, thankfully, to normal within a few days and has settled in to the beach house just fine.

I still remain completely opposed to belly shots (of me that is, it's fun to see others'), but for those who've asked I'm compromising with this picture that illustrates my expansion nearly as well, without all that hideous rolling flesh:

















Okay this actually makes me look a bit smaller because my hand is sort of in front of part of the belly, but close enough. And there's J too, showing a little more skin.

20 comments:

Rachel Inbar said...

Congrats on 24 weeks! It is definitely a milestone :-) I remember feeling so relieved when I got there too (and then of course I had to be induced at 42 weeks).

My Reality said...

You look fantastic. Sarah!

A $10K vet bill? Wow. I hope Jack is doing great and will be around for along time to come.

megan said...

great pics! congrats on making the 24 week milestone! that's great news, and you're looking great!

Valerie said...

You look AWESOME!

ultimatejourney said...

What an adorable picture! Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Sticky Bun said...

Wow! 24 weeks! That's so fabulous, and so crazy! And you do look great--very relaxed and happy! Thanks for sharing the photo.

I'm so glad that things are going well--and that Jack is doing better. Enjoy the last week of your vacation!

Lindsey said...

You look great! I love the bump. Glad Jack is doing better, too.
And 24 weeks sure feels good, doesn't it? I'm so glad you are there.

KarenO said...

Major ouch at that $10K vet bill - that is one lucky dog to be loved so much. :)

Congrats on the 24 weeks - you look beeeeautiful! And J's photo is just hilariously funny.

Hope the rest of your vacation is super - next year this time you're a mommy! :)

Lil Sis Kate said...

Awwww, look at the cute little belly!!! Can I touch it??

Kate said...

You look fab, Sarah! I am glad you are enjoying the vacation, you lucky girl. Glad you had a little reminder in Noah to enjoy the next four months of just the two of you--I can not emphasize it enough. :)

Interestingly, I had a completely different reaction to the 24-week e-mail. It brought me no comfort whatsoever and actually even scared me a bit, which, as you said, comes from having too much knowledge (I have a friend who had a preemie two years ago, so I did a bit too much research on micropreemies at that time, and it was far from encouraging).

In any case though, it is a major milestone, so here is to peaceful and uneventful 16 weeks ahead!

Carol said...

Hey - you look great. Congrats on 24 weeks - it is a great milestone.

Angie said...

Great picture!

AshPash said...

I love your belly shot...you should share more! :) So happy for you!

Bumble said...

24 weeks, hooray! Congrats Sarah! Before you know it the littly will be here. And I love the photo, your belly looks so cute! And also the maternity top is lovely!

tipsymarie said...

You look very contentedly pregnant in that picture. :)

Congrats on the 24 weeks!!

TeamWinks said...

Damn that's one hell of a vet bill. He better be fetching all the newspapers you desire! :-)

You both look like you're having a great time,and I'm glad to hear it!

Reproductive Jeans said...

Oh I love the pictures!! Thanks for sharing....and congrats on the 24 week mark!

Sara said...

Lovely bellies (on both of you!)

24 weeks was a big one for me too. It feels weird to shift from thinking about pregnancy to thinking about baby, doesn't it?

Cibele said...

You look so good !!!!! Congratulations on 24 weeks, jus so awesome!!!

Matthew M. F. Miller said...

Congrats to you, and you look AMAZING. The 2 of you look so happy together.