September 16, 2007

I'm an Extra Large Boy!

Highly embarrassing pregnancy photo follows at end, escape now if you choose to do so. But first, my thoughts on our childbirth class yesterday...

I LUUUUUV baby class! It was so worth it. I had two main reasons for going:

1) to figure out where I was supposed to go etc. when the time comes

2) to get my husband involved and give him some preview of what we're (I'm) in for, so he can be prepared to help and support me.


Side benefit I wasn't expecting:

He had to give me a back rub for about fifteen minutes and we're supposed to practice this "relaxation technique" for the next few weeks! He does not EVER do anything like this for more than 30 seconds, certainly not an entire minute. I didn't even mind when he told me he was surfing his iPhone during the massage.

There was a part of me that was considering not going. I'm not real big on controlling the experience, I sort of want to leave most of that in the hands of the professionals. I read through some of the things you can include in your birth plan (How do I want the lighting? I want the docs to be able to see what they're doing!), and a whole detailed plan is not for me. For one thing, so much will just be up to what happens when we get there, so I'm going in with no expectations or set ideas of what I want to have happen.

I was also unsure about the class because I didn't want to hear some long preachy sermon about natural childbirth and minimizing medical intervention. Pain medication? Bring it on! You only get offered the good stuff legally so many times in life. How do I feel about a C section? I might need one. Hopefully I won't. Who knows? It doesn't seem worth getting hung up on a preference at this point. My feelings about what I want out of the experience are very basic: healthy baby, healthy mom. How we get there is not entirely up to me. But the class wasn't all preachy and high-horse about it.

It is true that (as another blogger recently said), most of the information I got out of the class can be found in the various books I'm already reading, but I found it really helpful to have all the key stuff in one easy digest. For one thing, I will never get my husband to read the books. I could maybe give him a highlighted paragraph and ask him to read it, but this is pretty much the only vehicle for the level of information we heard yesterday. If nothing else, I feel much more confident that he will have an idea how to be supportive of me over the next two months and during labor.

My one complaint: I have to have my hospital bag packed in two weeks! We had to take this class a few weeks early because of a couple of holidays coming up which cause the class to be every two weeks (for a few hours each Saturday, over three Saturdays). Part of the second class is everyone brings their packed bag and they discuss what you need or don't need, etc. Normally you'd have your second class around 34-35 weeks so it kind of makes sense to be packing by then I guess. But at 30 weeks? It's way too soon! If I feel like my bags are already packed and I'm ready to go, the next 10 weeks are going to drag on FOREVER!! Not the worst problem I could have, I realize.



On to the photo...I have been wanting footed fleece pajamas forever, so when I found extra-large girls size at Target I thought...mayyyybeee..... But no. Way to small. Way too short from the crotch to the armpits. I was so disappointed. Had such high hopes for snuggling in them. When I returned them I noticed the extra large boys size. Boys are taller, right? So maybe....YES! They are a little snug and now I'm enveloped in race cars, but I love them!

14 comments:

tipsymarie said...

LOVE the pjs! Glad your childbirth class went so well.

My Reality said...

Love the race cars! I might have to get me a pair!

Valerie said...

You look adorable in your pjs. I agree a healthy baby and Mom are all you really need to have a good birth experience. As for a C section, I had one with T and let me tell you it was not nearly as bad as I expected to be. Although being awake while you are cut open is just freaky!

Tinker said...

Funny... getting my husband informed is the exact reason I signed us up for those classes over two years ago. Mine wasn't going to read the books either.

As for the pyjamas, they look really snuggly, and I love your belly too!

Lil Sis Kate said...

Dude, that is sooooo funny!!!! Love the jammies - hope you can keep zipping them up for at least a couple more weeks...

Lindsey said...

love the jammies and the belly. You look so cute! Glad you got s massage out of the class. That tempts me to sign up for one myself...

twirl said...

So glad you're happy with the class. Having an involved, informed husband is a good thing =)

Too funny about the pjs!

JJ said...

SO SO cute...love them! Glad the class is going well!=)

Kate said...

Oh my god, I had NO IDEA those jammies existed in non-kid sizes. I SO am going to get one. I guess they are not most convenient for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but that's a small price to pay for fleecy comfort.

Glad your class is going well.

Watson said...

OMG, too cute!!

megan said...

YOU are adorable! glad to hear the classes are going well. my husband is all keen on them. not sure when we start though.

Artblog said...

Lovely jammies :) you look full of bloom :) X

Cibele said...

Loved the PJS!!!!!

KarenO said...

Love the pajamas - you look great! That round tummy suits you really well too ;)

I'm soooooo with you on the pain medication. If it's legal and available, don't try and be brave and stuck it out!