September 9, 2007

Let's Get Physical

I haven't talked much about preganacy symptoms so far, mainly because they're not very interesting. Also in the beginning with all those early pregnancy symptoms I was still in such a state of disbelief. Now that I'm into the third trimester it seems worth mentioning, since other pregnant bloggers' recounts helped me know what to expect.

* By far my biggest complaint is what I refer to as my ring of fire--a band of itchy, burning, yet strangely numb skin about an inch or two wide that runs along the bottom of my bra. I think this is caused by the nerve endings beneath the skin being all scrunched up and smashed together where my belly sort of comes in to meet my upper rib cage. It's hard to explain, but it's miserably unformfortable. It makes wearing a bra torture, so I use my bra back extenders and wear them super loose. This has been going on for months now and has driven me to the always-flattering muumuu look.

* My bladder has returned to its first trimester competency. I have to pee all the time again, but also I seem to have a little less control. After I go I have to sit there for a second to make sure I'm really done, otherwise there's a tiny trickle when I stand up. Also, a tiny squirt when I sneeze. Spending the third trimester in the heat of allergy season should be entertaining.

* I'm practicing sleeping in 2-3 hour intervals. I used to go a good 5 hours or so before I'd have to get up and pee, then go back to sleep for the rest of the night. Last night, I peed five times between 10pm and 2am, then slept until 5am before I had to pee again, then finally got up for good around 8. In addition to the bladder issues, the back and belly pain is getting really uncomfortable. I got this maternity pillow and it helps a lot, but it's sort of hard to climb in and out of for all the pee trips.

* Speaking of that, my back and belly discomfort has been there for some time but it's definitely increasing and I suppose it will just continue. If I'm active for more than an hour or two, running errands, etc., I get pretty sore and really need to sit or lie down. Then again, if I sit in one position for more than an hour or two I need to stand. But that never really helps. The only place I'm really truly comfortable is my bathtub where everything kind of floats, so I spend a few hours there each night.

Incidentally, if you ever need quick passage through a crowded mall during pregnancy, simply hold your belly for support with a look of slight agony and exhaustion on your face and huff and puff a bit as you go. Shoppers will avert their eyes and cling to the furthest edges of the corridors to avoid being called upon to help deliver a baby. I didn't do it on purpose, I was just really uncomfortable, but it worked like a charm.

* The latest symptom (and the strangest) is the pelvic stretching and expansion. It's a very weird feeling and it makes walking a bit uncomfortable. Also, the same hormone that loosens your ligaments to allow for the stretching is loosening things everywhere causing soreness in all my joints, mostly hips and knees which get flexed the most.

Honestly I've had it pretty easy, with no morning sickness or serious complications. I even passed my glucose test (thank god!). I think this is all just the normal discomfort you have to expect when you've got another human growing inside your body. Luckily though, I'm 70% bionic (click in the lower right to find out how bionic you are):


See What You're Made Of - Visit The Official Site

11 comments:

twirl said...

I was just thinking about how it's getting more challenging to climb out of bed and over the pregnancy pillow! (sadly, it's getting more challenging to do lots of things. let's not talk about bending down!)

My Reality said...

I want one of those pillows, but I refuse to buy a pregnancy pillow when I am not pregnant. They need to make them for those of us who want to be pregnant and would like a super comfy body pillow!

I am glad you are doing well all in all. I am sure you are at the uncomfortable stage of this - but your baby will be here soon and I can't wait to meet her!

Tinker said...

It's not really fair that our bodies do this to us in the last couple of months preceeding the babies arrivals. We're going to have enough soreness, discomfort, and sleep deprivation after they arrive!

megan said...

i *love* the idea of those pillows, but cannot logically purchase one just yet!
glad that you're hanging in there though all of the uncomfortable bits and such. you're in the home stretch!

Kate said...

I, too, was thinking over the last few weeks that I need to do a "symptoms" post, so you beat me to it. I may do a lot of copy and paste though. :)

I used just the regular body pillow for a while but decided to give it up. Every time I needed to turn over, I would need to rearrange the pillow, and that was just driving me nuts. Perhaps I should have tried the contraption like the one you have...

Good luck with your bionic powers. Great responsibility, you know... :)

peep said...

Sounds wonderful!

Chris said...

10 more weeks to go... tick tock tick tock!

Oddly I don't quite "get" what the pillow does but since so many other pregnant ladies commented on how wonderful it looks I've bookmarked it for (hopefully) the near future!

Anns xo

Sticky Bun said...

70% bionic--that's impressive! And, I'm actually reassured that you haven't had too many symptoms. I still really have virtually nothing, which is terrifying. (Again, if everything goes according to plan, I'll count myself very lucky, but for now...)

I'm so glad everything is going well, though. Almost 30 weeks! You're really in the home stretch! I hope the next 10 (ish) are as uneventful has the past 29. :-)

Angie said...

Wow! I agreed with everything you had to say. I love my body pillow, hope yours helps with sleeping.

Bumble said...

Oooh, something to look forward to hee hee. I'm still peeing at least twice a night so heaven help me in 8 weeks time!!! So glad to see your shower was wonderful! Your sister is a real keeper! x

AshPash said...

Sarah: While it's no fun for YOU, it was enjoyable reading about your pregnancy symptoms. I am on my 48 hour bedrest after the FET yesterday. We shall see...blood test the 25th.