September 18, 2007

Resting

Or well, I'm suppossed to be. Doc was not happy with my blood pressure again at today's biweekly check, so I'm to take it easy all week, work extra hard on getting lots of fluids, rest on my left side as much as possible, and get it rechecked on Thursday.

If that doesn't help, they're going to recommend I NOT go to Boston this weekend for one last visit with my sister before baby. Which I was SOOOOOOO looking forward to. For many reasons, not least of which was the phone call from my five year old neice the other day that went like this:

Me: Hello?

Her: Hello Sarah. What are you doing?

Me: Nothing. What are you doing?

Her: Umm, I miss you. When are you coming to visit me in Boston?

Me: *tears springing to eyes* Very soon I hope.

If they tell me it's still too high to recommend travel I think I will just go anyway. Is that insane? There are lots of hospitals in Boston, afterall.

Battling with allergies lately is making it way harder to stay hydrated (although never realized there was a hydration/blood pressure connection before? guess it fits with the whole salt thing). Also, when they told me before to rest on my left side as much as possible, I thought they meant when I rest, do so on my left side as much as possible. This made sense because I know resting on your right side or back can smush some arteries or something and restrict blood flow. I didn't realize they actually meant to go lay down (on my left side) as often as possible throughout the day. I work from home and it would be feasible to go lie on the sofa for a few minutes every so many hours, but that's seriously going to add to my 10-14 hour work day. And no I really can't lighten up my work load, but I will try to take more of it lying down.

Wish me luck at the recheck on Thursday! I'm off to go lie to the left now....

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hope all goes well on Thursday, and I hope you get to go to Boston afterall.
And who knew you'd ever be trying to manage a 10-14 hour workday on your left side? That's why you make the big bucks, right? :)

My Reality said...

I hope the appointment goes well on Thursday and you get the all clear to travel.

Rachel Inbar said...

10-14 hour workday! Gosh, I try to squeeze my 4 hours in somehow (and I'm doing a terrible job of it).

[warning: unsolicited advice ahead]

If you're thinking of going to Boston despite your doc's advice, You could say it's really important to you and try to understand what it is about the trip that worries him/her (the travel itself, the lack of monitoring, the fear that you won't get enough rest, etc.)

If it's just the monitoring, you can buy or borrow an automatic blood pressure machine (all you do is put the cuff on). And if they're worried about preeclampsia, they might be able to give you a few peesticks and just tell you which box is the protein and what color it would be if your protein goes up.

Good luck!

Sarah said...

thanks Rachel, i can't find your email address to reply directly, but i didn't know you could get peesticks for that! also, you are fitting in your four hours of work around your 24 hour day as mom, so i know you're working way harder than me already!

Lil Sis Kate said...

It's just like when I went on the cruise at 32 weeks....you can say that after all, you will be with a DOCTOR for lord's sake!!

Seriously, though, you have to take care of yourself. You know I'll come see you soon if this trip doesn't work out - I owe you a birthday pedicure, after all!

megan said...

oh Sarah, i'm sorry they told you not to go to Boston. how far are you from boston? would you drive yourself? alas, while curious, answers to those questions won't help me help you in any way....:) just thinking that if it is a matter of a short-ish drive i don't see why it would be a problem. Rachel Inbar seems to have the most sensible notions about this. i'm beginning to babble now. ANYWAY, i wish you the best of luck at your recheck on Thursday and i hope you get to Boston.

Tinker said...

Ick. No fun.

And are you serious about such an insane workday? I'm not sure I could handle that while not pregnant.

As for Boston, I'll cross my fingers that things are looking better for Thursday. It would be a real shame to miss a visit with your adorable niece.

Rachel said...

Oh bummer. I would hate missing out on something I was looking forward too. Hopefully your blood pressure will stabilize

Queila said...

How far of a trip is it? I am around 5 1/2 hours away from Boston and husband and I went a couple of weeks ago ( I ws around 28 wks pregnant) and everything went fine. We did a couple of stops on the way so I could strech my legs and change position.

Of course each case is a case and I hope your doctor gives you the OK! :)

Q

Valerie said...

I hope you are able to come to Boston this weekend even if we will not get to meet this time.
Hoping your recheck went well.

Sticky Bun said...

Sorry I've been out of pocket--I hope you've been taking it very easy and that today's appointment went well. Just make sure to take care of you!

thinking of you...

KarenO said...

Hey you! Take care of yourself OK? Don't let us find you up for too long, or thinking of trying out your right side :) Glad you got to go to Boston, but you better look after yourself!