October 25, 2007

I Suppose Its Not a Good Sign When the High Risk Doc Says Come Back in Two Days

But that's what he said this morning. Then he said "Tell them to double book me if they have to," so he's rather serious about it. He says the placenta is looking a bit "old." The report he sent to my OB says "indications of early placental dysfunction." Apparently when it begins to look like things may be headed downhill placenta-wise, it can happen fast, thus the speedy recheck. It was such a bummer compared to last week, when we found out the baby is growing at an okay pace, as it continues to hug the 18th percentile curve. They can't check that again until next Thursday, since it takes two weeks to grow enough to outweigh the standard error in the measurements.

I have my first pelvic exam with the OB tomorrow. With things seeming more urgent at the Peri, I'm eager to hear how things "down there" might be progressing, if at all. I've had occassional Braxton Hicks for months but they have gotten stronger and I sometimes wonder if some of the adjustment I'm feeling is dilation. Mainly I think it's the baby head butting my cervix though--not too comfortable.

Bed rest pretty much blows. It's been over three weeks now, but sure feels like months. We all have enough whining and complaining in our lives so I won't go on and on about it, but the thing I didn't really anticipate is the fact that lying around all day saps all your energy without ever getting you tired enough to sleep. In a way it's a good thing that I've been so swamped at work I haven't had much opportunity to notice I'm not going anywhere. Since I already worked from home, it took minor adjusting to get me lounging a bit mopre at my desk with my feet up, but I have been working at reducing my workload. Instead of the routine 10-12 hour days with a few 14 hour days per week, I'm now down to regular days of 8 hours or less with a few 10 hour days here and there. In two weeks, I'll have everything wrapped up. If Imake it that far.

So I'm very sorry I'm behind on all your blogs. I've missed them and been thinking of you all, but between the race to get work done and the need to rest as often as I can, I feel so trapped irtyng to balance it all that I haven't dedicated much computer time to non-work activity. I'm going to try to catch up a bit later today, and hoping to find lots of good news out there!

26 comments:

Valerie said...

hoping the placenta hangs on for a bit more to let the little one grow some more.

Rachel Inbar said...

Well, on one hand it's not a good sign, but on the other hand you are starting your 9th month, so your baby should be just fine even if s/he's born now.

It's great that they're monitoring you closely :-)

I think you're incredible for being able to get ANY work done on bedrest. Not only was I unable to work, I couldn't concentrate on anything, including soap operas on TV or crossword puzzles... And I had weeks and weeks of bedrest with my first (needless, in retrospect, since they kept me on bedrest for 8 full weeks after a short bleeding episode which was clearly an early loss of a twin...)

Take it easy :-)

Lindsey said...

Glad to hear you are doing okay. I was worried about not seeing a post for a while. I'm sorry about the bedrest and the high risk doc's request for a return trip. I hope you get to let that baby grow as much as she needs, but fortunately, at this point, you have great odds for her to not have any issues anyway. I will be thinking of you and looking for your next update.

megan said...

i'm glad to hear you're in good hands...
i just can't imagine what you're going through. thank goodness you're in the home stretch though. keep us posted when you can. thinking of you.

mandolyn said...

I'll be thinking about you, no matter what you're placental situation may be. :)

I've never heard anyone say anything delightful about bedrest after several weeks of it. I hope you can stay busy- I imagine that helps things!

Bumble said...

I had just switched on my computer to e-mail you to see if everything was okay. Was getting concerned there for a minute. I'm sorry about the new worrisome news, but I'm also glad they're keeping an extra eye out for you and your littly. Fingers crossed she can stay inside for a few more weeks, but if not, then I'm very sure she'll be just fine at this stage (29 days to go!). Hang in there with the bed rest, not too much longer to go now... me xxx

Artblog said...

I know it sounds a bit idealist of me but as the others say, your in your ninth month, cant they just caesarian the baby out and be done with?

it must be hard sitting around all day, sympathy there my dear and hoping for the best. X

Sara said...

It's never nice to hear those kinds of words about your own placenta, but I am glad that your doctor is keeping a close eye on you. I hope that you get some good news at the OB tomorrow.

serenity said...

Ditto rachel on this one.

Hoping that things continue to slow at work for you.

Keep us posted, hon - I'm thinking of you.

xxx

peep said...

Hang in there. I hope your next two appointments go well. I hope your placenta can do her job for just a bit longer.

Kate said...

Hang in there, hon. I hope your next two appointments go better than the last one. 29 days to go is a very good number. If she has to come out now, she has a really good chance of going home with you within just a few days.

I know what you mean about feverishly trying to finish work stuff up and not having time for anything else. I am in the exact same boat. Just when I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, something new comes in. Ugh. Hope you are able to wrap your stuff up and not worry about it any more (worrying is not good for your blood pressure anyway, right?)

Take good care. I am thinking of you lots.

K77 said...

That sounds pretty scary for you, I think you'll be meeting that baby pretty soon though!

Sara said...

Any news? I'm thinking about you and hoping that all is well.

niobe said...

I'm glad your doctor is taking this so seriously. My understanding, for what it's worth, is that many doctors don't pay enough attention to placental dysfunction, which can lead to all kinds of problems, so it's very reassuring that your doctor is on top of this and monitoring it closely. Take care.

Becks said...

I was a month early and I turned out just fine (well I think so!), so fingers crossed all goes well. Thinking of you.

My Reality said...

I hope you are still hanging in there. You have made it this far, you are doing great!

Bumble said...

Just checking in to see how you're doing...

Debbie said...

Hang in there. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best.

(I can't believe how much work you are doing!)

My Reality said...

I think the comments might be turned off on your last post, so I am commenting here.

I am sorry you are in the hospital. It will all be over soon and you will have your baby in your arms. Keep taking it easy and I will be thinking of you.

Bumble said...

Also can't comment on your next post, but wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and hope its all over soon, and yes, you ARE going to be a mommy! Hard to believe for me too, but it seems like its true! Good luck for the next few days in case we don't hear from you...x

Rachel Inbar said...

(Comments are turned off on your new post.)

Funny about saying the hospital is boring. That is what I said and no one got it - like a hospital isn't supposed to be interesting or something. I just wanted to get home ASAP.

Sorry your blood pressure is so high. From my experience, induction wasn't bad at all, so don't let all the stories out there scare you (I had it twice, with pitocin - the second time was definitely my favorite birth).

Take it easy, hoping to hear good news from you!

Marie-Baguette said...

could not comment on your last post. I hope you are being released from the hospital and I wish you all the best for the induction. If you have any questions about induction, I will be happy to share my experience. I can give you my phone number if you are somewhat anxious. Thinking of you

ultimatejourney said...

Sorry things aren't going quite as planned, but as others have said you're close enough to your due date that the baby will be fine. I can't believe you're going to be a mommy so soon! Wow! Best wishes for the next few days to go as smoothly as possible.

Sticky Bun said...

For some reason I couldn't comment on the most recent post--but I wanted to drop a quick line to let you know I've been thinking of you. I'm sorry you were admitted to the hospital, but am glad they didn't detect any proteins. Best of luck over the next couple of days. Try to hang in there. (And, don't worry, I don't think you're crazy at all for still being in denial so close to induction. I have a feeling I'll be right there with you if all goes according to plan.

Hang in there and keep us posted!

wishing you the best!

K77 said...

I can't leave a comment on your most recent post but will do so here instead.

Definitely sounds like IF denial :) I am wishing you all the best for your baby's arrival soon, but not too soon. It must be a pretty scary situation for you.

I had those leg thingies after my 2nd lap. Made for a lovely night's sleep when coupled with room mate's loud snoring. Pretty cool invention though.

Tam said...

I can't seem to comment on your last post...Good luck with everything next week!!

Can't believe that you gonna have your little girl soon, very excited to "meet" her.

Love and hugs xxx