October 12, 2007

Looking Good, Just Not All That Photogenic

The scan yesterday went well. It is too soon to measure growth again since the the margin of error for the measurements is greater than how much the baby might have grown in a week, so we'll have to wait until next week before we have an idea of how well the baby is growing. This time they checked all the organ functioning, breathing motions, and blood flow.

The main problem with hypertension is that it constricts the blood vessels, so the baby gets less blood and nutrients through the cord than it should. This is what causes the growth restriction. The baby compensates by reducing blood flow to the abdomen so it can direct enough to the brain, and this is happening properly. They've talked about putting me on blood pressure medication, but apparently the baby becomes accustomed to a certain level of blood pressure, and as long as the baby is handling it well, it's not a great idea to suddenly change my blood pressure. It appears that so far the baby is handling it well, we just have to keep monitoring it closely.

The other major problem which I'm still being evaluated regularly for is preeclampsia, but there are no further indications that I'm headed in that direction. That would be much more dangerous to me and the baby, and even the chance of it is one reason why I may be induced early (it tends to spike suddenly late in pregnancy). The Peri said we'd know more after next week's growth check, but that he thinks I'm going to make it to 37 weeks. If the growth looks really good, he said maybe 38.5, but I might as well give up on my 40 week due date.

And since full time bed rest is pretty much definite until delivery, three or four more weeks is sounding a lot better than six.

In this picture from last week's scan, you can clearly see two evil eyes glaring at me, displeased with this whole blood pressure situation, I presume:
Is it just me or does anyone else see a resemblance to Dr. Finklestein from The Nightmare Before Christmas?
Although I go back and forth, sometimes I see a very clear "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" face in the scan.

Actually we did get to see some cool stuff yesterday. At one point when we were looking at the profile view, we saw the mouth open and swallow amniotic fluid. Later, we saw it holding it's foot. Maybe there really is a baby in there afterall.

11 comments:

Valerie said...

Sounds like a good visit. I am hoping the baby keeps growing and the PreE stays away.

JJ said...

Hahah, oh man that last picture--thats too funny!
Keep taking care of yourself!!

megan said...

oh my goodness. i wish the hypertension would settle down. bed rest has to be a drag. i hope the next 3-4 weeks fly by.
then you get to meet BABY! so exciting!

ultimatejourney said...

I'm glad things are fairly stable and I hope they stay that way for a few more weeks.

Those ultrasounds are something else. Some of the images are just plain frightening, especially those 3D ones where the resolution isn't so great.

My Reality said...

I am glad to hear from you - hope all continues to go well!

Rachel Inbar said...

So glad things are looking good :-) Even 37 weeks sounds good, compared to what you were worried about not long ago.

Take it easy. I know how boring bedrest is...

Sticky Bun said...

Definitely hope that pree. isn't an issue. Keep taking it easy and taking care of yourself! And I hope you've got some good videos, magazines, and books to distract you.

peep said...

Wishing you a relaxing and long (but not long feeling) bed rest.

Queila said...

Good to know the baby is full of personality already. :)

Q

KarenO said...

I really hope you're doing ok, and that your blood pressure is not a problem at all. Please take care, your baby is almost in your arms! :)

Valerie said...

hoping all is going well.