March 5, 2008

Shifting Addresses, Aligning Priorities

So I mentioned moving day a few posts back. That wasn't real moving day, that was 'moving lots of crap out of our old house so it could look presentable on the market' day. Shortly after that, we had a new mattress delivered to the new house, and we're basically living there now with no furniture. It's a total mess, but leaving our furniture in the old house while we try to sell can make a big difference in the price we get for it, and being able to camp out here makes it much easier to keep that place presentable and not have to pack up the baby and dog anytime someone comes through. It was an insane couple of weeks getting ready to be on the market - all sorts of cleaning, fixing, shopping, staging, etc. had to be done in just a week or two.

We weren't really looking for a new house. We were fine in our townhouse, but I knew down the road I wanted something with a bigger yard. Our housing market is so down right now, although it's not the best time to sell our old place, it's a fantastic time to get a deal on a new house. We happened onto a brand new home that was built and ready to settle but the original buyer fell through, and it was being offered way below the original price and what it's neighbors paid for theirs, so we snapped it up.

It's a very nice house and there are plenty of things I like about it, but I had major concerns with buying it. Sure it is always nice to have a bigger fancier house, but I just felt like it was totally out of line with my priorities. I had visions of us being happier with less, versus more stressed and more pressured to work harder and buy more furniture and keep extending the rat race if we moved into this big house. In the old house, it was conceivable that one day I could back off my work load a bit. In the new house I feel pressured to continue working nonstop for the rest of my life. Ultimately I agreed with J and others that this place was too good of an investment to pass up, but I just hate the idea that I traded in leisurely time with my baby for a big fancy house. I know I'm lucky to work from home and have as much time with her as I do, but that's because my husband is still home with us, which adds to my stress about the house - it's all on me, at least right now, to pay for it.

8 comments:

JJ said...

What a beautiful house! Can I come visit=) Congrats!

Rachel said...

That is a very nice house. I hope you enjoy it!

Furrow said...

We'll probably be ready for a new house in the next few years, but I hate moving so much, we may have to stay here forever.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your nice new house without adding too much to your load.

Angie said...

Wow! What a beautiful place!

niobe said...

I think I know exactly what you mean about feeling it's all on you to pay for the house. It's not a good feeling.

My Reality said...

How is the kitchen in the new house??

I was reading an article about real estate being such a great investment and most people make the most money in their homes. Think of this as an investment in Piper's future.

Sticky Bun said...

That's a beautiful house! And, if you can get THAT in the DC area for a deal, you so need to jump on it.

I do hear you about the whole "I'm going to have to work like crazy the rest of my life to pay off this mortgage" thing. It's always a tough call, but I'm sure you guys made the right decision for your family. And, I imagine with things like this, it's always harder at the beginning. After a bit, you won't be the only one shouldering the financing, you'll get raises, have more options, etc. (And, in the meantime, you'll already have equity in a great house in a down market. There is something to be said for that!) :-)

Good luck selling the townhouse--I hope it goes well.

Marie-Baguette said...

4200 feet of living space... enough said!