May 8, 2008

Six Months


We did something really cool for Piper's six month birthday. We participated in our local Relay for Life which is a 24 hour event to raise money for the American Cancer Society. We took turns pushing the jogger (I highly recommend this one) around the track with all the other supporters, lit luminarias in honor of a few cancer survivors and victims in our lives, and won a Crate & Barrel ice cream sundae kit in the silent auction. It was a very moving event. The survivor's lap around the track and the team "Siblings of Survivors" really got to me. A great way to mark the 6 month milestone, I hope to continue doing things like this with her so she grows up with these experiences.

At the six-month check up she is still growing just fine, hanging in there around the 40th percentile (60th if adjusted for being early). She's 16 pounds and 26 inches long. This was good to hear since feeding has become extremely difficult now that she gets distracted and wants to be seeing/doing/chewing on everything around her. Vaccines suck and they seem to be getting worse each time. It's the saddest cry imaginable when she looks up at you like "How could you? Why are you doing this to me?" Of course that's my guilt-ridden translation, to her it probably just means "Oh my freaking lord that hurts like hell!!!"

I've started thinking about weaning now that feeding is becoming so challenging and things are going well with solids. I want to wait until she sleeps longer at night though, it would seem like a shame to make this far nursing only to have to make bottles in the middle of the night. I can make it a few more months I guess. It does get me thinking about heading back to the IVF clinic though. It was always in the back of my mind that since it took 5 years for Piper, we'd get back in there as soon as I was done nursing. But then I was thinking I'd nurse for a year. And ideally it won't take 5 years again now that we have that whole long "figuring out there's a problem/what should we do about it?" stage behind us. Still my 35-year egg expiration date looms this Fall, which makes me feel a bit of urgency.

Work is ridiculous right now, I barely have time to brush my teeth and we still haven't finished unpacking boxes from our move. I am really wanting to check in with all my blog buddies much more frequently than I've been able to. I am thinking about you all!

14 comments:

Kate said...

SO pretty in pink!!! Thank you for posting the picture. She is gorgeous.

I hear ya on being distracted while nursing. It is frustrating. It seems like every time I nurse anymore, I have to ask, "So are you done or are you just taking a break to look around?" Once in a while, if the lights are low and it is quiet, we can manage a good nursing session. But most of the time it's a struggle.

Happy six months, Piper!

Bee Cee said...

So great to hear from you.

I can't believe 6 months has passed already. She is adorable.

Good luck for the next stage of the journey.

Furrow said...

I was just thinking the other day, as Zora finally finished a 4 ounce bottle after 2 hours of snacking on it, that nursing would be impossible at this age.

Piper is gorgeous. I love the hat.

My Reality said...

I can't see the picture. Sigh.

I am glad you are well!

scarredbellybutton said...

6 months already? Surely not! What a sweetheart she is.

Great work on the Relay for Life. I must admit just reading about the survivors lap and the siblings of survivors has reduce me to a great big puddle of uncontrollable tears.

Cibele said...

what a great way to celebrate Piper's 6 months. She is go gorgeous, so pretty in pink...
Love the hat

Tam said...

She is just beautiful!!

Sorry life is so hectic for you, take some time and make sure you enjoy your precious little girl!

Thanks for stopping over - I miss our chats!!

Matthew M. F. Miller said...

Beautiful photo. Six months went so fast - congrats on your continued happiness.

Angie said...

Happy belated 6 months!

stickybun07 said...

Happy 6 months! (I'm stunned it's already been half a year! wow. I'm sure it feels even more like time is flying to you!)

Congrats on the relay for life--what a great way to celebrate. (oh, and not that it surprises me, but we have that phil & ted's twin jogger. so funny.)

and, isn't it crazy to start thinking of the 'next' one already? it's weird to start down that mental path. we're obviously nowhere near that, but we have talked about when we might be and it's strange to start that thought process again, even though it'll obviously be different now. Good luck as you work through the weaning and the decision about when to head back to the mines!

ellie said...

Totally beautiful baby! When I look out and blog land and I see how many women have struggled and now looks so happy it reassures me that it's worth the amazing journey. I am glad that you are doing so well!

Nicole said...

I think of you too! She is so adorable!

peep said...

What a great picture and a beautiful baby girl. I'm glad to hear she is doing so well.

Bumble said...

She's so gorgeous! And 6 months already!!! Time flies doesn't it? My litte Embie is 4 months already too... So happy to see you're doing well!