January 31, 2009

Fifteen


I didn't document this part too well last time and in preparation this time around I wished I had. So this may be a bit boring, but here are the key things I recall in my post-anesthesia stupor...

For starters, the IM hcg wasnt bad at all. The anticipation was brutal; I had a few smallish tantrums each time I tried to get into position, but by the time I yelled at my husband "just get it over worth already for fuck's sake!" he rolled his eyes and told me it was already done. There was a dull ache later but the next day I was fine. I know the cumulative effect of PIO will eventually be torture but at least I'm ready to be brave for the first few days anyway.

Earlier in the week my nurse asked if I felt like I had a bag of rocks where my ovaries should be and that was EXACTLY how it felt. By yesterday it was more like a smallish cannonball hanging off each fallopian tube. I'm wishing I had more than two pairs of reasonably presentable sweat pants.

In 2007, I was very nervous about the anesthesia since I'd never been under before. This time my big fear was that I was going to shit on the operating table. Piper has had some diarrhea the past day or so, but probably just from teething and all the extra drool. Still. Sometimes the gravity of a very remote possibility outweighs the unlikelihood of it happening and renders it very much worth worrying about.

But really, like last time, my biggest fear of course was that they wouldn't get anything. In 2007 I harbored a secret fear that after all the failed IUIs my follicles had actually been empty all along. Again it didn't matter much to me that this was not a very well-founded fear. This time around since I stimmed for so much longer (12 days versus 9) and had an extra dose of hcg (15k versus 10), I was afraid of the also unlikely possibility of ovulating before retreival.

Our timing was just fine, AND I didn't shit on the table. So a very good result so far. ICSI will happen this afternoon and of course we'll know more in the morning. I feel a bit different about those 15 tiny little potentials after having followed the journey of one from embryo to walking, talking little person. The news tomorrow may be a bit more emotional this time around. Please let it be good news!

I was pretty uncomfortable when I woke up this time. At first I told them I was a 7 on the 1-10 scale but when I started climbing toward 8 and then 9 they gave me some extra IV pain drugs and a vicadin to take home which I haven't taken yet. At the moment I'm doing okay and intend to try to sleep it off, but very willing to ammend that plan as necessary. The IV pain drug was AWESOME though! It was that floating away feeling I recall from the rare occassions when my husband and I have shared a pitcher of strong margaritas, times 10. The picture above is of the throws of my drug induced ecstasy... CHEERS!! The nurse joked "What's going on in here?" when she came in and my gown had fallen from my shoulders unbeknownst to me. I said, "We're trying to make a baby, what does it look like?!!" and Jay pretended to zip up his pants. Future offspring, should we be so lucky, will no doubt be horrified. Which is as it should be.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Yay for 15! Grow embies, grow!!

My Reality said...

15 is fantastic!!!

Hoping for a great fert report!

Grade A said...

Yay, retrieval day! Hope you are feeling better and fingers crossed for lots of embryos!

bb said...

Woohoo for 15 and I hope the fert report is awesome! Good Luck with everything!

littlebitofsomething said...

this is the best retrieval post i have ever read. you're hilarious. good luck with those embryos! grow grow grow!

sacredandscarred said...

That's a fantastic haul!

stickybun07 said...

Lucky 15! That's GREAT. I hope you get great news at the fertilization report tomorrow, too.

Tinker said...

I love the photo!!

And 15 is a great number of potentials; I hope the fertilization report is equally good.

Auntie Kate said...

Yippee for 15! Let me know when you have more news! Oh, and Matt says the picture makes him want to fix a drink!

Kate said...

Love the picture. It totally belongs on page 1 of a baby book. :)