January 29, 2009

Trigger


Today they measured five follicles per side from 14-24 mm, mostly around 18-20. I'm still waiting for the call and E2 levels but I'm almost certain they will have me trigger tonight. My RE expects to give me a bigger shot of hcg (joy) so I had to go ahead and buy extra but may not use it. I kindda like having extra around for next time; using everything up feels like a jinx.

Thanks for all the input on IM versus subQ hcg. As I mentioned, my clinic always gave me Ovidrel (subQ) for IUI's but prescribed Novarel (IM) for IVF. For my last cycle I asked for subQ and my nurse told me they were moving away from IM anyway so I got it. When I asked again this time I found out that in the two years since, they did a study of patients who had IM versus subQ and found a statistically significant difference in outcomes between the two. I know subQ worked for me before, but if I argued for it this time and the cycle was a bust I wouldn't be able to let go of feeling my own choice may have done me in. One more shot in the ass is not going to kill me. If I'm lucky enough to make it to transfer, tell me that again in a week or so! I remember the PIO being just tolerably uncomfortable for the first week or so but after too many pokes back there I was crying out and almost unable to let my husband give me the shot. All he had to do was say "fine, if you don't want this to work" and I would eventually give in, but it really was that bad. Even with ice and a heating pad.

So ER will be Saturday. It will be nice to have the weekend to chill out. Now I just have to figure out what to do with Piper for the retrieval. I didn't want to tell my family about this cycle. For various reasons I don't feel like having to discuss it or especially having to discuss a potential negative outcome, and I also thought I might like to make the old fashioned "guess what" announcement this time around without everyone having followed every plunge of the syringe. Either I devise some elaborate cover story or I find a babysitter who's available at 6am on a Saturday morning?

PS - E2 was 1379. Triggering tonight at midnight.

14 comments:

bb said...

Gooluck, hope it all goes well!!

mekate said...

GOOD LUCK SARAH!!!!
I hope it goes very well. I have never done an IM but will *next* cycle if we go forward. Please tell me the truth about it when you are out the other side. I am very excited for you- great follicle count and activity- keeping my fingers crossed.

Kate said...

I'll take Piper. Seriously, give me that gorgeous baby and I promise to eat her up completely. Maybe just a little nibble.

Valerie said...

Can she maybe have a sleep over with the grandparents? Good luck, I will be thinking of you Saturday.

My Reality said...

You could bring her here.

littlebitofsomething said...

hi ho! good luck lady! and damn i love your photo flare.

Mrs G said...

Best of luck! Don't envy you the pain, but, just think of the rewards.

sacredandscarred said...

Good luck Sarah. I'd happily watch Piper if I was local.

Grade A said...

Loved your trigger pic. I triggered tonight, too. I will be sending positive energy into the universe for you on Saturday! Good Luck!

Lorraine said...

Best wishes for Saturday! I vote for the cover story - blame it on something really boring, like bunion surgery...

Sticky Bun said...

I hope the trigger went well! And that's really interesting about the difference between the IM and subQ shot--very good to know!

I hear you on not telling the fam. I'm in the same boat. I hadn't thought about the babysitting issue, though--GREAT point. Crap. Is there a local friend who knows who might be able to swing by your house?

Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Tam said...

Thinking of you chicken!! Good luck with the ER and the baby sitter thing - If I was closer I'd help you out!!

Hugs xxx

Thalia said...

Given no clinic in europe uses IM hcg shots any more, I'm deeply sceptical of your clinic's results, but they are what they are so glad you feel ok about it. You know there's no advantage to PIO over pessaries, either, right?

Rachel Inbar said...

Good luck! I hope it goes well!!!