February 2, 2009

Six


Two didn't make it. I know this is expected but this time around I'm sadder about it. Partly because I've seen what one of those little dots can become, but mainly I just feel a bit more nervous about losing any since we have fewer this time. At this point last time we had twice as many - my dozen eggs.

My clinic doesn't give gradings as some others do but they did give me cell counts. Of the six, three are 2-cells, one is a 3-cell, and two are 4-cells. Transfer is tomorrow. My guess is that if things stay about the same we might transfer the two 4-cells. After the growth restriction issues last time, I am extremely nervous about the possibility of carrying multiples and putting them at risk, but I also can't bear the thought of what if we'd only chosen one last time and it wasn't the one that turned into Piper? I had nothing to freeze so her beginnings would have been discarded. Shudder.

I have no signs at all of OHSS this time, yay! I know this is why we have fewer embryos than before and it's considered clinically a good result, but I can't help feeling my odds are down a bit.

My nurse isn't in today so I didn't get to ask about the PIO. Basically I feel like I have to stick with it because if for any reason this cycle is a bust I'd be filled with regret that I didn't do everything I possibly could. I know many people have had success with suppositories and Crinone and there are studies saying they are just as good, but my clinic believes PIO improves success rates. I just wanted to ask the question and hear more about why.

I actually feel a bit better about the PIO today. Last night wasn't as bad. I think lying down really did help so thanks t (and congratulations!!). It still hurt like hell but afterwards I was left feeling I'd survived another shot and the world didn't end and I lived to blog about it, so ultimately I can do this. Ugh. No doubt my resolve will fizzle out around 9pm tonight but I will do it.

Thanks again everyone for all the well-wishes and checking on me!

10 comments:

dreamsandfalsealarms said...

Six pack...
one more thought on PIO:
My clinc has you lay down, and straighten the top leg (the one the PIO goes in), and I've noticed it is a bit flexed, it hurts more.

I'm thinking of you!

Valerie said...

What time is your transfer tomorrow? I will be sending you good thoughts.

littlebitofsomething said...

6 is still a great number. it only takes one good one! i'm sending you nutso amounts of good vibes for tomorrow. good luck lady! and good luck with your 9pm date. it's too bad we can't have a glass of wine after those damn shots to mellow us out a bit!

Grade A said...

Here's rooting for the one good one! My fingers are crossed for you. Thanks for sending positive energy my way...here's some right back at you.

Colleen said...

Sending you lots of good thoughts tomorrow. =)

bb said...

I am sending you lots and lots of good vibes for a great transfer. And hang in with the PIO. I was fine at first, but find myself dreading it now after only a few nights... But I know we can both be strong for our embabies!!

Rachel Inbar said...

Thinking good thoughts for you!

Thalia said...

That bit about worrying re piper's embryo having been discarded? Unlikely. if it looked good enough to turn into a baby on day 3 they would have frozen it.

Also, you can insist they freeze everything, regardless of how they look. These are your embryos. I think it is well worth worrying re possibility of multiples, even as you feel a bit silly doing it.

stickybun07 said...

Good luck today! I'll be thinking of you. (And I just reread the post from last time and was reminded of annoying pregnant newbie. So, in memory of APN, baby dust!!

:-)

mekate said...

thinking of you today! Hope it goes perfectly! (if you don't transfer until thursday this is still true!)-- I'll write you a real email later on, just wanted to send a quick hello your way. Good Luck!