April 10, 2009

Really Good News


The first trimester screening went great yesterday. The NT measurement looked fine and we saw all the major parts that were supposed to be there - arms, legs, hands, feet, stomach, eyes, nose, mouth, regions of the brain. The nasal bone was present, also a good sign. Baby floated around and waggled it's tiny limbs but did none of the crazy cartwheels Piper was doing at that scan, so I'm hoping this is our calm child? I'll have my risk number in a week when the bloodwork comes back, but so far, so good.

But the best news: my blood pressure was completely normal. Doesn't mean I won't develop gestational hypertension again; I probably will, it would be really unusual for it to set in this early anyway. But it just means there's no reason to think there's anything wrong now, and gives us time to monitor and take action whenever, if ever, it becomes appropriate.

I'm just back from a couple of weeks of hectic travel. Here's how much time I've spent in airports lately: washing my hands yesterday I held them under the faucet at home waiting for the water to come on automatic sensor-style. If ever my BP should be elevated it's now. Although watching the scan on the big overhead monitor (nice touch!) was very relaxing. J was there holding Piper who at one point climbed up on my lap. What an incredible feeling sitting with her on the same table where we'd first seen her at 12 weeks gestation, all big now and grown up.

22 comments:

IVF 40+ said...

wow, that is great news. congratulations.
EB

Heather said...

YAY!! That is GREAT news!

Hopeful Mother said...

fantastic!

Artblog said...

Superb news! Hoping your blood pressure stays down :)

x

Furrow said...

Such good news! Nice looking kid, too.

Marga said...

That is super news! Glad your bp is normal for now.

Marga said...

Oops. I was signed in with my other blog...Marga=Grade A

Valerie said...

I am so happy for you.

Red said...

That's fantastic. The first trimester has gone by so fast (maybe it doesn't feel that way to you though).

Do you think Piper even remotely 'gets it' that you have a baby in there?

My Reality said...

I am so glad this pregnancy is off to such a good start!

Lorraine said...

Such good news! Here's hoping for more of the same as you progress!

Faith said...

Whoohoo! What a blessing. Great to hear!

littlebitofsomething said...

congratulations! i'm so happy to see that little bub and know that you're blood pressure is a-ok! welcome back!

Tinker said...

Beautiful! What wonderful news!

mekate said...

BEAUTIFUL! How beautiful how beautiful how beautiful....

mekate said...

I just love coming here for the photo. Hope all is well and that you are doing wonderfully. Warmly, kate

Sara said...

That's a beautiful ultrasound pic. I'm so glad to hear that everything's going well so far. Hooray!

Sticky Bun said...

Hooray! Sorry I'm late to the commenting game, but I did check in to make sure all was well. :-)

Such great news that the BP was normal. I hope it stays low and all continues to go well.

mekate said...

Yup, me again. Stopping in to smile at the photo and wanting you to know I am thinking of you. hugs, Kate

Grade A said...

Sarah,

Just writing to check in that all is well with my cycle buddy.

Best,
Mags

JJ said...

SO glad things are going well--I dont think Ive ever said a proper congrats on the happy news=) So a very HAPPY congrats! Hope you are feeling ok!

Vasectomy Reversal said...

It is really a great news. Thanks for sharing.

Jack