September 24, 2009

Day 250: One Week In

I've been living in L&D room 19 for a week now. It's gone by surprisingly fast, which is not to say it's been easy. Yesterday was a bad day. I'd had some problems overnight after sort of falling through the cracks between the nurses shifts, and then when I finally got a nurse around 10am, she said "So the plan is still to keep you here until 37 weeks?" I burst into tears. It wasn't particularly shocking information but no one had specifically said that before and in that moment, the idea of being away from Piper for another week and a half after 6 days away already hit me hard. My nurse was upset about having upset me and became very defensive. I tried to swallow the tears but they kept sneaking out over the next few hours.

Eventually my OB came by to talk to me about the u/s I'd had the day before and a plan. I'm mainly here for low fluid and over the past week it is holding pretty steady. My mfm still feels the pregnancy is basically just done and wants me here monitored until delivery. My OB made a case with him for sending me to bedrest at home with bi-weekly monitoring but the mfm didn't go for it. I knew he wouldn't, he told me when I left his office last week that I would not be going home pregnant. I had accepted that, and set my sights on making it to 36 weeks in this miserable little room. That's two days from now. The idea of tacking another week on that was unbearable.

Both the OB and mfm had previously mentioned their comfort level with delivering at 36 weeks which was what put that number in my head. While 37 weeks is considered full term, babies' lungs are typically developed at some point between 35-37 weeks and it just varies by the individual baby. It's very encouraging that we've seen practice breathing on u/s for over six weeks now. Basically the expectation is that the baby would be fine if I had to be delivered today, but could face some significant NICU time based on it's lung development, weight (ability to maintain body temperature), and suck reflex (ability to feed itself whether bottle or breast), which is the last thing to develop. The longer we wait, the less likely NICU would be necessary, and as my OB said, the longer you stay stable and everything looks good, the greedier we get about wanting to give this more time.

So when my OB said we could plan an induction for his next hospital on-call day a week away (next Wednesday 9/30) I felt relieved. That's 36w4days, just a few days before full term. But a week away felt manageable too, having just made it through one week already. So it seemed like a reasonable balance of caution and expedience. I may be plotting my escape after a few more days, but right now it's just great to have an end point.

9 comments:

Grade A said...

Sarah,
My heart goes out to you. I'm at the point where I don't know what to expect/hope for except my "happy healthy baby" mantra. Glad things are holding steady for you, and it sounds like you have a good plan of action. Sending you both good energy.
Mags

Furrow said...

Oh Sarah, I don't know how I missed your last post. You poor thing. In this brave new world of 25-weekers, 36 weeks just sounds so mature, and I would be as anxious as you to go home.

Jamie said...

You're so close. You can make it until then. Hang in there. *HUGS*

K77 said...

Thinking of you.

Lorraine said...

Hang in there - staying in L&D is better than staying in the NICU. It must be so, so hard to be away from your daughter, but it would be really hard on her to deal with complications.

Your OB's compromise is nice - at least it's nice that he agrees there's some wiggle room. Plus, can't they do a test for the lung function?

Best wishes!

Sarah Beth said...

Hi - I am pretty much a lurker to your blog, but I figured I should come out and comment about now. My first (and so far only child) who is now 2 was born severe IUGR -I was actually diagnosed with HELLP syndrome (very bad form of pre-e), and had an emergency section... I also had low fluid - my placenta was horrible. He spent 27 days in the nicu (he was 35 weeks) learning to eat and gain weight (he was only 3 lbs 4 oz at birth). So... I can imagine what you are going through, and how hard it is. It will likely be my fate for an subsequent pregnancies, and I cannot even imagine being away from my little man. Hang in there... you can make it!

Nearlydawn said...

So glad you have an end-point, and that you've managed to survive incarceration, I mean bed rest, so far. A few more days vs. a wk and a half seems a little more bearable.

How is your little girl holding up? What do you guys do when she comes to visit? I'm very curious... I can't imagine being away from my boy, so it is intriguing how you are making it work for your family.

My Reality said...

It won't be much longer now. Just think - another few days you don't have to clean.

niobe said...

Thinking of you....