September 19, 2009

Greetings from Hospital Bedrest

Two weeks ago everything looked so good at the mfm. The next day at the ob I had my first major bp spike: 150/102. It came down and I got to go home but readings at home have been high ever since. I knew the mfm wasn't going to like the bp but I didn't expect to be sentenced to immediate hospital bedrest, where I have been since Thursday. Apparently when gestational hypertension causes deterioration of the placenta, things can begin to go downhill quickly. So while the cautious OBs continue to try to get to 36-37 weeks, they are on board with the mfm who wants me here, monitored, and ready for an induction at the first indication.

In addition to the high bp, growth dropped from 32nd percentile to 16th in two weeks, the placenta which was so healthy last time has rapidly matured, and the fluid is low. Low fluid is the main reason my OB is keeping me here. Apparently that can also be a rapidly worsening situation. A nurse told me about a woman who came in the day before me with low fluid at 34 weeks and by the time she got here the baby had died. So I'm okay, maybe this is the best place for me to be but it's still pretty miserable being stuck here.

It was just such a shock at first. The mfm practically pushed me out the door and across the street to the hospital saying it was time to get the baby out. This happened several times last time and each time all monitoring came back normal and the OBs sent me home until I was within a few days of 37 weeks. I was so sure I'd be here for just a couple hours Thursday, especially as they gave me all the lab results, all normal. But the low fluid was the kicker. Thursday night I was on heavy IV fluids to see if we could increase the fluid level, which would have bought me a ticket home. No dice; they told me when that amount of IV fluid doesn't help, you're not just dehydrated, it's a sign that things are not functioning properly.

So at any time they could decide it's time to induce, but for now I'm just living on a hospital bed, in my fancy gown, strapped to two monitors, a bp cuff, and an IV. Although I can't image another week in this bed, I'm still hoping we get another week in before baby (I'm 35 weeks today). The hardest part might be being away from Piper all this time. I left for my appt during her nap and expected to be home before she even woke up. She's been to visit each day but it's hard for her to be here and I think might make it even worse than missing me at home. I had all these things I had in mind that I was looking forward to enjoying with her in our last few weeks of her being my one and only. I'm done being sad about that now, it's clear I am not going to get to go home for even just the day or two I was hoping for. I've accepted it and moved on to being sick of being stuck on a hot vinyl bed, not getting any sleep, monitors that fall off and beep constantly causing me to feel like I can't move, so I'm constantly sore and uncomfortable. And I'm only a day and a half in! How will I ever make it another week?

24 comments:

Heather said...

Do you need a care package?

MrsSpock said...

Sending you some good thoughts for a healthy baby...

Grade A said...

My dear exact same day in our cycle Sarah,

Here I was feeling a bit sorry for myself on at home bed rest...you sound miserable. Of course you know this is the best place for you and baby, but ugh, I'm sorry you are uncomfortable. Here's hoping for a happy healthy baby and more sleep for you, mom.

lostintranslation said...

I'm sorry this has happened and you're feeling miserable in your hospital bed - but you are in good hands I guess. Sending you positive thoughts for a healthy baby. Hang in there...

Jamie said...

*hugs* Being in the hospital is awful -- especially being away from your little one. Hang in there.

Red said...

It brought a tear to my eyes the thought of leaving during her nap and not being able to come back to her. It must be heartbreaking to watch her leave you everyday. But, since your baby needs to be in the hospital where it is safe so you are absolutely doing the best you can do.

I hope the bedrest flies by and in no time at all you are holding your little one.

Thalia said...

I'm really sorry to hear you're stuck in the clink. And I totally empathise with missing those last few days with your first born. But you will get to spend time alone with her again, and in a few weeks she won't even remember that you were gone. It's harder for you. Hang in there.

stickybun07 said...

Wow. There must just be so much running around in your mind right now. I hope you are able to find things to keep you busy, and that Piper gets to visit a lot, and most importantly that you and the baby stay very healthy.

Hang in there!

exileinkidville said...

holy crap! i'm so sorry to hear this... my heart broke a little reading about Piper. keep us posted. xoxo

K77 said...

I'm sorry you're stuck there, away from Piper.

I hope you and baby continue to be ok, and she comes out at term!

My Reality said...

Sigh. I am sure being stuck there sucks. I hope I won't have to find out for myself how bad it is.

The baby is better there, so it makes sense that you are kept in. Just think of it as a mini vacation from housework and laundry and cooking and cleaning. Probably doesn't help much, does it?

Keep hanging in there. It won't be too much longer.

Nearlydawn said...

Sigh. I'm sure you weren't expecting this, which makes it that much harder, huh? Kinda like the rug got pulled out.

I know what you mean about the hot mattress. Ugh, that was the worst part of my hospital stay after having a c-section. I was soooo uncomfortable.

Is there anything they can bring you to put under you? Something that breathes better?

In my case, I kept asking them for more and more of their throwaway pillows. They circulated the air under me waaaay better and I could sleep. It looked like I'd built freakin' nest when I'd get up, but it was worth it.

If not, maybe hubby could bring you some sheets from home to add to the padding?

mekate said...

Oh Sweetie!
ok then, glad you are safe and being monitored.
with that, I am so sorry you are uncomfortable-- and I hope the week will somehow just pass-- books on tape? radio shows? I cannot imagine.

By this time you are a few more days into this part of your journey, and you are absolutely in my thoughts. Hoping you can get some sleep somehow and that all will be well.

warmly,
Kate

Kate said...

Well, this answers just about all of the questions from my e-mail, so... ahem... ignore that. I should have come here first for an update.

So sorry about all of this and about things not going the way you expect. What a bummer when everything looked so unconcerning just two weeks ago. I am glad you have such an awesome team of docs who are able to see these issues and not blow them off (or, alternatively, blow them out of proportion).

I am thinking of you and hoping for a long bed rest that feels veyr short. Perhaps you can make it to 10/3--just so that this baby can prove to us that three, indeed, is the magic number?

Lots of love to you both--and to the big sis and dad.

6p00e55008a4aa8834 said...

Yikes! I'm sorry things have gotten so scary. My friend had twins at 35 weeks, and they spent a couple weeks in the NICU, but jsut barely needed it. It soudns liek the hospital is the palce to be!

niobe said...

Hang in there! Sending thoughts and (if it's okay) prayers.

littlebitofsomething said...

oh lady how crazy this all is and quickly things can change. i'm thinking of you and hoping your stay isn't too long and the babe stays happy and healthy.

Lorraine said...

Sending lots of good wishes for more time and a easy go of it - it must have been awful when the nurse told you about the woman who came in before you! But of course it's easy to see why they want you to be stuck there under those kinds of circumstances. As always, better safe than sorry...

Tam said...

Oh my, I'm really hoping that this time goes fast and that you're back home with a healthy baby and Piper...

Good luck with everything sweet friend.

Hugs xxx

Valerie said...

oh no!
I just found out you were in the hospital on bed rest. Sending you good thoughts and hoping you are there for another week at least. Hope this isn't too hard on Piper.

Bluebird said...

Here from LFCA, and just wanted to send thoughts and best wishes. I'm so sorry to hear that hospital bedrest is necessary, but crossing my fingers that it buys you a bit more time.

Hopeful Mother said...

Hoping for a short and more comfortable stay for you. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you!

Artblog said...

:( praying for you my love! xxxx

Grade A said...

Did you make it another week? Hope you and baby are doing OK. Sending you good energy.

Mags